Thursday, August 5, 2010

She-Beast Night

Hell Week


Written by: Rosemary Clement-Moore

Released: August 19, 2008 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers



Summary: Maggie Quinn has battled an ancient demon, faced down psychotic cheerleaders, and saved her best friend from certain death, but nothing can match this. Formal sorority recruitment, otherwise known as rush.

And after facing hellfire, infiltrating sorority rush should be easy. But when she finds a group of girls who are after way more than “sisterhood,” all her instincts say there’s something rotten on Greek Row. And when Hell Week rolls around, there may be no turning back.


When I got this from the library I didn’t realize that it was a part of an ongoing series, but that didn’t take away from the book itself. In fact, I think that since it was the second book, it was quite easy to catch on to what had happened in the first one. Plus, the subject matter was incredibly entertaining, so that added to it.

Speaking with knowledge of the inner-workings of sorority life, I really enjoyed this book and how well it captured how it is in a sorority house – minus the demons. Of course, some of the girls in my sorority were really big monstrosities of a human being, so really it was almost bang-on.

But really, the entire Rush was well written and accurate (of course, my sorority little sister would smack you and say that it’s called Formal Recruitment, but whatever). No, right down from the Rho Gamma’s to initiation, I could completely relate to the book. And it was a really amazing take on Greek life in general. In fact, I know of fraternities who have actual Hell Week with Beast Night (which wasn’t really in the book) and what they do is so slightly mean yet completely hilarious.

So, if you’re going into your first year of university and looking to pledge, or you’re just looking for a fun book to read, this one may be for you. I’m giving it 7/10.



And I still laugh whenever I look at the cover with the girl giving the finger. Every time.

No comments: