Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Vintage Tuesdays - The Author Edition

Ok, so in high school I discovered this hilarious author by the name of Katie MacAlister. Seriously, I would read her on the bus, pass the book off to my friend when finished, and then we would both be reading MacAlister on the bus while peeing ourselves laughing out loud.

Thus people thought that we were crazy.

Of course, this was before the explosion of BS vampires and authors cashing in on two-bit characters, so I was more into her books than I am now. Thankfully, she's also able to write contemporary romances and her awesome Dragon-Guardian series. Plus, she just tried her hand at steampunk (which I haven't read... but I  might) so she's fairly versatile. Granted, they're all romance books... but that's not really the point.

The point that I'm trying to make was that her books got me through the perils of high school and riding a big yellow bus until I was able to drive myself to class. They're funny (extremely so) and sexy and full of fun that I sporadically pick up one of her books and re-read it. She's also the one author who I always recommend when friends want a good chick-lit-humorous-romantic read (with or without vampires or other-worldly beings).

Sadly, though, for the last couple of years I've stopped reading as much MacAlister than I used to just because I've discovered so many other amazing books that I don't have the time to read everything that I want to read. I really do need to catch up with what she's recently written, but with my ever-growing TBR pile, I can't see a time where that's going to happen in the near future.

Of course, her books will always hold a dear place in my heart and I'm always keeping an eye on her website to see what's new and upcoming for her. So if you're looking for that great adult summer read that's going to have you giggling as you bask in the sun - or shade as it pertains to me - then try MacAlister if you haven't already. She's a 10/10 author who knows how to reel you in and keep you there while you both laugh and sigh at the romance.

1 comment:

Tammy (The Book Fairy's Haven) said...

I have heard a lot about this author and seen many of her books around, yet for some or other reason, just haven't gotten around to choosing any of her books - because as you say, there is just so many books to choose from. I will however, make the effort to read at least one of her books before the end of this year!