Friday, August 13, 2010

Scream If You Want To...

Today is Friday the 13th and I decided to share something about me that almost no people know.

I have never read a book (in the last 15 years or so) that has scared me so much that I was no longer able to continue reading it.

Seriously.

In fact, other than Goosebumps books and one Halloween Sweet Valley Kids book, I haven't not been able to read something. Don't judge, some of those Goosebumps books from when I was in grade three were really, really freaky and scary. I mean, reading about some sponge thing that lived under your sink? Yeah, that's the stuff that nightmares are made of. And that SVK book was so scary that I had to stop reading it while on a car trip and read a different SVK book.

But since then, nothing has been too much for me to read. Too bloody, too brutal, too gory, too brutal. Nothing has made me put down a book unless I wasn't able to get into it. And sometimes that makes me a little sad because half the fun of reading a horror book is having it scare the pants off you.

Come to think of it, there hasn't been a movie that I haven't been able to sit through and laugh at either in the horror genre... but books are almost always better than movies, so it's no wonder why. It's bad, though, that I can no longer go see a horror movie in theatres and watch it without disturbing the people around me with my laughter. Black Christmas; yeah, that was bad. My friends and I distrubed the entire theatre with our obnoxious laughter. Snakes on a Plane? I have nightmares about snakes, but not because of that movie. I just hate snakes. But that movie made me almost wet myself from laughing so hard.

Moral of the story is; it takes a lot to get me scared.

In fact, usually it's my over-active immagination that gets my heart racing, my pulse pouding, and the hair on the back of my neck standing on end. I am, in that respect, my own worst enemy.

1 comment:

Tammy (The Book Fairy's Haven) said...

You know, so far I haven't had a book that has scared me, but you know what freaked me out when I was a kid? The Stephen King mini-series, It. Up until this day, I still harbour a deep loathing of clowns.