Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Pirate's Life For Me

The Dust of 100 Dogs


Written by: A.S. King

Released: January 13, 2009 by Flux



Summary: In the late seventeenth century, famed teenage pirate Emer Morrisey was on the cusp of escaping the pirate life with her one true love and unfathomable riches when she was slain and cursed with the dust of one hundred dogs, dooming her to one hundred lives as a dog before returning to a human body -- with her memories intact.

Now she's a contemporary American teenager and all she needs is a shovel and a ride to Jamaica.


It took me a while to get into this book. In fact, I almost put it back on the shelf and started to read a different book all together. However, I stuck with it for a few more pages and I really fell in love with the story.

I loved how you got alternating perspectives on Emer/Saffron’s lives with the thrown in smattering of how life was as a dog. I wasn’t all too keen on Frank’s chapters, but it offered an interesting insight into his character (who I really didn’t like). I also liked the chapters about Seanie, but I think that’s because I completely fell in love with him as Emer did. I just wish that there had been more with him in it.

The story itself wasn’t anything that spectacular on the surface, but once you start to get the back-story to Emer/Saffron it really takes off. I always found myself waiting to read more about Emer as she descended into her piracy. Saffron’s chapters fell a little short with me, but I think that’s because something was missing from Saffron (i.e. Emer) and it felt as though she wasn’t being true to herself. Also, Saffron’s family was horrible and I didn’t care to read about them. Her brother was a nightmare.

As the book progressed, I found myself more and more invested in reading it and needing to know what was going to happen next. For a book that started off poorly for me, it ended really well. I just wish that there was more to read, especially since I want to know what happens next in the life of Saffron/Emer.

I’m giving this book an 8/10 and I highly recommend it if you like anything to do with pirates, the high seas, and independent, strong female characters.

1 comment:

Dazzling Mage said...

I love the cover! Great review, I'll be adding this to my TBR. =)