Friday, July 23, 2010

Unlucky Number Seven

Where the Heart Is

Written by: Billie Letts

Released: June 20, 1995



Summary: Abandoned by her boyfriend at a Wal-Mart in Oklahoma, Novalee Nation, 17 years old and seven months pregnant, soon discovers the treasures hiding in this small Southwest town.


I first saw this movie on TV during a matinee special and once the credits rolled I noticed that it was based on a book. Well, since I enjoyed the movie so much, I knew that I had to read said book so I scoured the used book stores for a copy. After I read it, I made sure that I recommended it to everyone that was looking for a good read. Even now, I’ve just loaned it to a co-worker when she mentioned that she was looking for something new to read during her time off.

I don’t know what it was exactly about this book that grabbed me so much, but it was so heart-warming and tear-jerking at the same time. I really started to feel for the characters as you went through several years of their lives with them.

This is the type of book that I would recommend to any mother, or anyone who wants a good life-read, who wants to read a book that is cemented in the love between a mother and child and definition of what makes a family a family. I give it a loving 8/10.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I LOVED that movie! :) The book looks even better! I didn't realize the movie was based on a book though... I guess you have a better eye than me! :D Thanks for the review!