Thursday, July 22, 2010

Interesting...

So I went to the library today to return some books and check out a new one, and since I was going I thought that I would take some of the books that I have that I collected for whatever reason and never read. Most of these were meant for classes and were only read once (if at all) or they were left behind at my house by someone or other.


Anyways, I was greatly surprised when they said that they didn’t accept book donations.

I was always under the impression that libraries took gently to barely used books to add to their collection, especially if they didn’t have copies or they wanted a copy of a highly in demand book. I mean, it’s not a big deal, I can sell them at a used book store or online, but I thought that it would be nice to give back to my local library.

Tell me, is this normal or is it just something that they do with this particular branch?

3 comments:

Chelle said...

I think this is a fairly common practice. Many libraries have bookstores where they get rid of their excess. So, it's not unthinkable that many simply aren't into taking a gently used book.

Swimmer said...

That is weird... my library takes all my old books! But it is a school library and there funds were cut so maybe that is why...

Tammy (The Book Fairy's Haven) said...

I agree and find that rather odd. Our libraries always welcome book donations! I've never, in all of my life heard of a library that doesn't take any book donations. But maybe that's just over here in my country.