Monday, July 19, 2010

Have I Read This Before?

Right now I’m about two thirds of the way through The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson, and I can’t help but compare it to Robin Wasserman’s Skinned trilogy.


Without giving away too much of the book, here are the basic similarities:

“Nearly” fatal automobile accident

A question of scientific ethics

The length that parents will go to

A futuristic (though obviously in the near future) world

The question of what makes a person human


The list goes on and on, and it’s kind of starting to bug me while reading because I’m truly enjoying this book, and I did like Wasserman’s as well, but I want to also be able to read this book without a formation of what is going to happen based on something completely different.

Actually, this is something that I’ve noticed a few times lately with books, movies, or television shows; it seems to me that it’s hard for a completely original idea. Now, would this be because it’s so much easier now than ever before to get an idea published, thus making it so that there’s more out there to be influenced by?

Sure, the idea of revamping an old story isn’t a new concept; Romeo and Juliet has been done to death, so has Dracula, and all the fairy tales that a person can think of have been redone. And those never bother me. In fact, I usually am surprised with the different takes on the original.

Maybe it’s just because The Adoration of Jenna Fox and Skinned are both relatively recent releases and it’s coming across to me that The Adoration of Jenna Fox is what Skinned could have been had it of first taken a different route.

Of course, maybe these ideas are my brain telling me that I’m over-thinking things and it’s time for some sleep. What do you think?

1 comment:

Alison Can Read said...

Hmm...it's too bad they're so similar. On the bright side, at least the covers are thoroughly distinct.
Even if you are over-thinking it, it is your prerogative to be bothered by something about a book.