Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Biology Matters Too

Perfect Chemistry

Written by: Simone Elkeles

Released: January 1, 2008 by Walker Books for Young Readers

Summary: A fresh, urban twist on the classic tale of star-crossed lovers.

When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created “perfect” life is about to unravel before her eyes. She’s forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for—her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more.

In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.



I went into this book with high expectations purely because it seems to be so loved throughout the blogisphere. Let me tell you, I was not disappointed. In fact, once I started I didn’t want to put it down at all… sadly I had to in order to sleep since I worked the next morning.

I seriously fell in love with Alex Fuentes. He is the type of guy that I want; minus the gang aspect. He’s so loving and loyal and sweet. Ok, so the bet thing was mean, but it’s not as if he did it for any reason other than an in to getting to know Brittany. He’s definitely near the top of my literary crush now.

Then there’s Brittany… I’m not sure what to think of her. I liked her character, but at times I wanted to slap her for her selfishness and idiocy. She had her redeeming qualities, though, like her love for her sister.

The plot was very Romeo and Juliet, which I liked, and it reminded me greatly of the Leonardo DiCaprio – Claire Danes version that came out a while ago. And I love that movie, so that’s a good thing. There was a bit of a different twist on it too, which made it not nearly as predictable as it could have been.

Overall, I loved this book and I completely fell in love with the characters. I’m giving it a solid 9/10.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I loved it too, and Rules of Attraction is just as good. Maybe a tiny bit better, I still can't decide. Love those Fuentes brothers!

A Story Untold said...

Absolutely loved this book!My fav so far of 2010!