Saturday, October 16, 2010

When the Temperature Drops... Again

Linger


Written by: Maggie Stiefvater

Released: July 13, 2010 by Scholastic Press



Summary: In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.
At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love - the light and the dark, the warm and the cold - in a way you will never forget.



Ok, so I read Shiver a few weeks ago and it was alright, so when I noticed this book at the library I scooped it up anticipating that it would as an ok read like the first one was. Sadly, it didn’t live up to the first in my books and I wasn’t able to get into reading it.

I mean, there’s only so much that can happen now after the first book and after reading the first few chapters, then the last few pages, I had a strong sense of what I was going to not miss by not reading the book. I also didn’t want to have to deal with the ever-changing perspectives as the chapters dragged on. Sure, in the first one it was nice to have the alternating view points between Grace and Sam, but to add in Isabelle and Cole to this equation was almost enough to make me scream.

Maybe in a while if I notice it again on the library shelf I might pick it up again and attempt to read it, but for now it really isn’t worth my time when it seems like I have so little of it left in a day to read for pleasure. I’m giving it a 2/10 for now. Who knows, I may try reading it again and love it to bits.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I've been going back and forth on whether to get this. I loved Shiver for the writing - the story, eh, it was okay. And yeah, I've heard about the 4 POV's, sounds a little too much. I think I'll probably wait for the paperback.