Thursday, October 21, 2010

Expansion is Bad for Business

Low Red Moon


Written by: Ivy Devlin

Released: September 14, 2010 by Bloomsbury USA Children’s Books



Summary: Avery Hood is reeling from the loss of her parents--and the fact that she can't remember what happened to them even though she was there.

She's struggling to adjust to life without them, and to living with her grandmother, when she meets Ben, who isn't like any guy she's ever met before.

It turns out there's a reason why, and Ben's secret may hold the key to Avery finding out what happened to her parents...

But what if that secret changes everything she knows about--and feels for--Ben?




So I received this book through the Good Golly Miss Holly ARC tour and though it took me a while to read – between moving and starting a new job, reading opportunities were sparse – I did enjoy it. I was also thankful that it was rather short and thus was a quick read.

The characters in this book were alright. I would go as far as to say that they were slightly above average. I wasn’t really pulled towards Avery and though I developed a slight literary crush on the guy, he isn’t so memorable that sitting here without the Goodreads page open on my computer I can remember his name. I also wasn’t pulled towards the book like some are able to do; there wasn’t that je ne sais quoi that compelled me to read on and on throughout the night until the book was finished. If anything, it felt as though I had read the book before (everyone has read Twilight, right?) and the ending was anticipated.

However, the writing in this book is great. To continue the Twilight comparison, even though I wasn’t engrossed with the book, it made me want to read the next one when it comes out (is there a next one?) so that I can see what happens with the town and the wolves and the characters. But, if there isn’t a next book, I don’t think that I would lose sleep at night over it either.

All in all, this was alright. It kept me entertained for a while and offered a good escape from packing/unpacking/brain-melting job training. I’m giving this a 6/10.

No comments: