Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Vintage Tuesdays - Girl Wonder

Matilda

Written by: Roald Dahl

Released: some time before I was born... I think...


Summary: A small girl has large special powers which she uses to help her friends and schoolmates.


Ok, first off, without regular internet I can't get all the information that I want to make my reviews post how I want them. So bear with me here. Plus, it's hard to type on a blackberry for an extended period of time.

Anyways, this was one of the books that I had to read for Children's Literature in third year and it was the first time ever reading it period; don't ask how I overlooked this book for so many years because I have no idea and I loved the movie. Thankfully it was a part of the curriculum and I was able to thoroughly enjoy reading it.

I loved the characters and the illustrations that go along with every Dahl book that I've read. Matilda was depicted so differently than in the movie and it made me love the book even more because of it. The story was different in and of itself too, so really it was like experiencing something completely new.

As far as children's books go, this one is tops and it's up near the top of the lost of potential books that I am considering buying a cousin of mine when she turns 9 (I think. It might be 8.) next month. I definitely believe that it is one of those classic children's books which will forever live on through the years, though you will also never be too old to read it either. For that reason alone, this book is more than worth a well deserved 10/10.

No comments: