Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Vintage Tuesdays – The Kings Mistress

Sorry that this is a day late but I was out all yesterday with friends and I didn’t get home until really late. I’m kind of mad about it too because yesterday was the first day that I had missed posting something since I started the blog. Grrrr…


So technically this is Wednesday, but for now we’re going to pretend that it’s not!

I also missed the new episode of Pretty Little Liars, which makes me sad but I’m going to stream it in a bit so all is good.


The Other Boleyn Girl

Written by: Philippa Gregory

Released: January 1, 2001 by Scribner


Summary: Two sisters competing for the greatest prize: the love of a king When Mary Boleyn comes to court as an innocent girl of fourteen, she catches the eye of Henry VIII. Dazzled by the king, Mary falls in love with both her golden prince and her growing role as unofficial queen. However, she soon realizes just how much she is a pawn in her family's ambitious plots as the king's interest begins to wane and she is forced to step aside for her best friend and rival: her sister, Anne. Then Mary knows that she must defy her family and her king, and take her fate into her own hands.

A rich and compelling tale of love, sex, ambition, and intrigue, The Other Boleyn Girl introduces a woman of extraordinary determination and desire who lived at the heart of the most exciting and glamorous court in Europe and survived by following her own heart.


So this was a book that my roommate in first year had read and told me was absolutely wonderful. She also offered to let me borrow it, but I politely declined since she had a bad habit of picking her nose while reading… and then sticking her finger in her mouth. Yeah, she was 18 too… I was grossed out. Anyways, the following year I was going on a spring break trip with some of my sorority sisters to Cuba and I wanted have a good book to read on the beach. This was also around the time that the book was being released in theatres as the movie – don’t get me started on how much the movie left out. So, since I like to (preferably) read books before seeing the movie, I decided to pick this one up at Chapters (or somewhere) and bring it along since by then I had heard from several people that it was a good read.

I then spent my entire time on the beach reading this book. Honestly, it was so amazing and involved. I just got so caught up in the story, the romance, the betrayal, the wickedness. Oh it was just so good. Which, of course, meant that while my friends were frolicking in the water, I was dry and sitting on a beach lounger, reading in the shade of an umbrella (see, I really don’t go in the sun).

I just completely fell in love with Mary and her story; how she was forced to become basically a prostitute to the king even though she was married. I wanted her to get a happy ending so much that I was almost crying at parts, while on the beach, in public. Really, I just couldn’t put this book down at all. I think that I finished it just as we were about to leave for home, which was good since I didn’t want to be caught without something to read and be forced to read my Psych 101 text book that had been brought along by one of my friends.

I give this book a 10/10. It is by far the best in the series, at least that I have read, but the writing is so addictive that I’m warning you in advance to make sure that you have the time to finish reading it.

No comments: