Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Vintage Tuesdays - Twin Dolls are Deceiving

The Magic Christmas (Sweet Valley Twins Manga Edition 1)


Written by: Francine Pascal

Released: November 1, 1992 by Bantam Juvenile

Summary: When Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield's grandparents give them a pair of matching antique dolls for Christmas, they're a little surprised. Their grandparents should know they're too old to play with dolls! Then the twins learn that the dolls are a family legacy from a past generation of twins. But that's not all that's special about the dolls. Before they know it, Jessica and Elizabeth are thrown into the most magical adventure of their lives. And along the way they learn what being twins—and best friends—really means.


This is one of my all-time favourite SVT books. I don’t know if it’s because it’s a Christmas special or because it’s all full of magic, but it’s one of the books that I’ve read so many times over the years that I can’t count how many.

Looking back on it, it’s rather childish (as most of the SVT books are) and the outcome is completely predictable – though the time first time that I read it, I was completely on the edge of my seat – it’s just too much fun to not love. I mean, come on, a set of “gorgeous blue-green eyed Californian twins” travel to this magical land and find two equally handsome twin boys who are their exact clones but with extra body parts. And, of course, each twin gets stuck with the twin who would match their twin’s personality perfectly. Did you follow that last bit?

This book was the perfect mix of the usual SV treatment and all sorts of fantastical creatures and magic. Take out the twin aspect and you would get this great middle-grade/young adult novel that would both thrill and awe you. Within the pages you are introduced to amazing new beasts and a fantasy land where anything is possible if you only imagine it to be.

Anyways, this is one of those books that gets me in the holiday spirit whenever I read it, which didn’t always happen to be around Christmas. And really, there’s no real reason that it should since Christmas is only mentioned in the first and last few chapters. But still, I guess it’s the magic that accompanies it, like the ‘magic of the holiday season’ and all that.

It’s been years since I last read this book, but I think that I may – if I have enough time – quickly re-read it soon. Aside from it being in conjunction with the fact that it’s less than two weeks until Christmas, it’s been too long since I’ve read a SVT book period. So, in short, I give this a 10/10 not only for the memories, but for the fantasy and fun.

No comments: