Friday, December 24, 2010

Three Down

I Am Number Four


Written by: Pittacus Lore

Released: July 18, 2010 by HarperCollins

Summary: In the beginning they were a group of nine. Nine aliens who left their home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack by the evil Mogadorian. Nine aliens who scattered on Earth. Nine aliens who look like ordinary teenagers living ordinary lives, but who have extraordinary, paranormal skills. Nine aliens who might be sitting next to you now.

The Nine had to separate and go into hiding. The Mogadorian caught Number One in Malaysia, Number Two in England, and Number Three in Kenya. All of them were killed. John Smith, of Paradise, Ohio, is Number Four. He knows that he is next.

I AM NUMBER FOUR is the thrilling launch of a series about an exceptional group of teens as they struggle to outrun their past, discover their future—and live a normal life on Earth.

I AM NUMBER FOUR.

I AM NEXT.




This book was a little Roswell, a little K.A. Applegate’s Animorphs series from the ‘90s, plus something else that I can’t place a finger on. Still, I was mesmerized once I got into the story and I absolutely cannot wait to read the second book in the series.

Number Four (John Smith) was a good character although I never pictured him as 15. Maybe the movie buzz has ruined his mental picture, but whatever. He didn’t act like a fifteen-year-old either, so I automatically thought of him as at least 17. The character that I loved was Sam. He was so sweet and I just wanted to shrink him to pocket size and carry him around with me at all times. Also, I completely want a Bernie Kosar of my own – he would be the ultimate pet – and I can’t wait to find out more about Number Six and the other aliens.

To be honest, as much as I liked reading this book, I’m not sure why I did since it wasn’t the best book that I’ve read this year. But I suppose that just goes to show just how great the writing itself was since it masked the pitfall of first book syndrome. I guess that’s just it; this book was meant to really build up to the rest in the series.

There was action, romance, superhero powers, and an alien race. I can’t put it into words why I liked it, but I just did and I honestly can’t wait to read more about these characters and the battle for earth. I give it an 8/10.

No comments: