Wednesday, December 15, 2010

No Victor Hugo Poem

Claire de Lune


Written by: Christine Johnson

Released: April 23, 2010 by Simon Pulse

Summary: Torn between two destinies?

Claire is having the perfect sixteenth birthday. Her pool party is a big success, and gorgeous Matthew keeps chatting and flirting with her as if she's the only girl there. But that night, she discovers something that takes away all sense of normalcy: she's a werewolf.

As Claire is initiated into the pack of female werewolves, she must deal not only with her changing identity, but also with a rogue werewolf who is putting everyone she knows in danger. Claire's new life threatens her blossoming romance with Matthew, whose father is leading the werewolf hunt. Now burdened with a dark secret and pushing the boundaries of forbidden love, Claire is struggling to feel comfortable in either skin. With her lupine loyalty at odds with her human heart, she will make a choice that will change her forever?


Ok, I’m going to admit it; I read about the first half of this book and then skimmed the rest. I don’t know, but it just couldn’t keep my attention for that long. So I read the beginning, skimmed, and then read the ending so that I could find out what happened.

Personally, I didn’t connect with Claire on any level and her romance with Matthew just didn’t ring true to me. Emily, the best friend, just came off as vapid to me.

One thing that I did enjoy with this book were the brief scientific bits that were included. I thought that it was interesting that people thought that they could cure a “natural” condition. I thought that it was a nice little view into the real scientific world in how they created false results in order to draw out those who were really a werewolf and seeking a “cure”. I wish that that had been more explored with what I read, but since I skimmed the middle maybe there was something more in there about it. Could someone please let me know?

I also wish that the history and philosophy of the entire change and the Goddess were elaborated on more. It seemed to me as though it was briefly and incompletely covered.

Maybe I didn’t give this book enough of a chance and maybe I should try to sit down and read it through, but with my many other amazing books sitting on the TBR pile, I just can’t justify it right now. So, at this very moment in time, I’m giving it a 3/10. Hopefully in time I will be able to re-read it, but for now that’s where I stand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've read quite a few reviews on this book saying similar to you. I have already downloaded it for my reader though so I'll have to give it a try :)