Thursday, December 16, 2010

Best Served Cold

Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood


Written by: Eileen Cook

Released: December 26, 2009 by Simon Pulse

Summary: Popularity is the best revenge.

In the final weeks of eighth grade, Lauren Wood made a choice. She betrayed her best friend, Helen, in a manner so publicly humiliating that Helen had to move to a new town just to save face. Ditching Helen was worth it, though, because Lauren started high school as one of the It Girls--and now, at the start of her senior year, she's the cheerleading captain, the quarterback's girlfriend, and the undisputed queen bee. Lauren has everything she's ever wanted, and she has forgotten all about her ex-best friend.

But Helen could never forget Lauren. After three years of obsessing, she's moving back to her old town. She has a new name and a new look, but she hasn't dropped her old grudges. She has a detailed plan to bring down her former BFF by taking away everything that's ever been important to Lauren—starting with her boyfriend.

Watch out, Lauren Wood. Things are about to get bitchy.




I’ve read this before. Ok, not this specific book, but I remember from a several years ago there was a story on fictionpress that was incredibly similar to this one. However, though that was my first assumption, as I read I realized that the two are vastly different. And then I came to the conclusion that this is the classic formula for revenge YA literature. Don’t get me wrong, though, I love it no matter what. Revenge is one of those themes that will never ever get old.

Helen was a great character. I loved her inner monologues and her lists on how to make Lauren pay. Plus, I was totally on her side 100% to wreak havoc on Lauren’s perfect little life. Lauren was a grade A biznatch if you ask me. What sort of person blames their best friend for something that she didn’t do just to become popular and a cheerleader?

This book was part Count of Monte Cristo, part Mean Girls, a dash of Heathers, and all amazing. I was laughing and ranting all while reading it depending on the situation. I completely wanted to trade lives with Helen for a few days, too, and I was completely jealous that there was a small movie theatre that plays old movies like The Thin Man.

The only thing that I deemed taking things a little too far happens at the end of the novel. I don’t want to ruin it, but let’s just say that it’s not cool (though rather brilliant as far as ultimate revenge goes).

If you’re looking for a book full of nitty gritty revenge plots and some hilarious revenge lists, this is for you. I give it a well deserved 8/10 and I can’t wait to read more from Eileen Cook.

No comments: