Saturday, July 23, 2011

Little Birds in Tuxedos

Mr. Popper’s Penguins


Written by: Richard and Florence Atwater

Released: first published in 1938

Summary: The unexpected delivery of a large crate containing an Antarctic penguin changes the life and fortunes of Mr. Popper, a house painter obsessed by dreams of the Polar regions.


This was one of the classic novels that I had never read as a child and never really wanted to. However, after finding out that it was being made into a movie, I grew curious and I was provided with the perfect opportunity to read it through NetGalley.

It definitely wasn’t what I was thinking it would be, though it shouldn’t be as surprised as I am about it. I think it’s because I went into reading this thinking that it would be like the movie trailer and not like a novel published in the ‘30s.

While I doubt this would ever be a novel I would read again, I enjoyed this very short novel and I was able to read it in an hour or so (taking breaks and waiting for the lag with my e-reader) and it’s nice to have added it to the list of classics that I’ve read. I’m giving it a 5/10.



Many thanks to NetGalley and Open Road Publishing for making it possible for me to read this novel.

No comments: