Friday, July 22, 2011

Campfire Tofu

Huge


Written by: Sasha Paley

Released: May 22, 2007 by Simon Pulse

Summary: TWO ROOMATES.

ONE GOAL.

BIG PROBLEM.

April's been saving all year to afford Wellness Canyon (aka Fat Camp) and she can't wait to start losing weight. Wil's wealthy health-nut parents are forcing her to go to the camp, but Wil is determined to get revenge by gaining weight. They're supposed to work together to meet their weight-loss goals. But Wil's leading April on "hikes" to 7-Eleven, April's relentless pep is driving Wil to hit her secret stash of Godiva, and soon they're both crushing on the same guy. With April as committed to the cause as Wil is determined to undermine the system, this summer's going to be about more than just counting calories....


Sending your children away to “fat camp” has always intrigued me. I mean, at a regular camp you’re never not busy; there’s always swimming lessons, bike riding, hiking, canoeing, and so many other typical camp activities. Sure, you also have your arts and crafts and other indoor things, but in my experience the counsellors were always making us be outside as much as possible. So exactly what’s the added benefit of a “fat camp”?

Well, this book helped me see the difference while still offering a peek into regular camp life.

I liked the duo-perspective between Wil and April and seeing how much their views differed on their experience while at Wellness Canyon. I also liked seeing just how far each would go to get what they wanted – only to discover what they really wanted in the process.

This is a great read for the summer (especially if you’re away at camp) but it’s also a good read in general. One thing that I wasn’t keen on, though, was that actual weights were never mentioned. I kept picturing the characters much bigger than I think they would have been. I also couldn’t help but picture the actors cast in the television show from a couple of years ago.

Overall, I’m going to give this novel a 7/10 and I recommend it to anyone who wants a fun summer camp read.

No comments: