Saturday, July 2, 2011

Lipstick Bandolier

Beauty Queens


Written by: Libba Bray

Released: May 24, 2011 by Scholastic Press

Summary: From bestselling, Printz Award-winning author Libba Bray, the story of a plane of beauty pageant contestants that crashes on a desert island.

Teen beauty queens. A "Lost"-like island. Mysteries and dangers. No access to email. And the spirit of fierce, feral competition that lives underground in girls, a savage brutality that can only be revealed by a journey into the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Oh, the horror, the horror! Only funnier. With evening gowns. And a body count.


I was beyond excited when I saw that this novel was on the shelf at the pharmacy where I work. Seriously, I squeed and had people staring at me while I snatched up a copy to set aside. And then I dove right into the story. Oh this novel had me giggling like a little schoolgirl. Seriously, it had people giving me weird looks – I’m just a little thankful that I had taken off the dust cover or else there would have been a few more.

But, really, I loved this novel. It’s the perfect summer read and it has so much more going on for it than anyone would ever think. It contains not only the superficial, shallow, stereotypical pageant contestants but lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered characters, cross-dressers, and complete girl power. It has just about everything and anything that a reader could ever want in a novel without seeming like there’s too much going on.

Libba Bray really has a gift for writing. She was able to keep straight the multiple mail characters and each of their separate narrations. I never felt as though I was overwhelmed with the many different voices and I was never lost in who was speaking at which time. It was amazing how Bray kept the flow constant while alternating views every so many pages. Really, mad props.

If this isn’t on your summer To Read list, make sure to at least check it out. Don’t be fooled by the pretty cover and the lipstick bandolier, these girls kick some major butt and bring on the hurt. I give it a 10/10!

No comments: