Friday, March 18, 2011

The Ultimate Travel Guide: Part One

13 Little Blue Envelopes


Written by: Maureen Johnson

Released: September 2006 by HarperCollins Children’s Books

Summary: When Ginny receives thirteen little blue envelopes and instructions to buy a plane ticket to London, she knows something exciting is going to happen. What Ginny doesn't know is that she will have the adventure of her life and it will change her in more ways than one. Life and love are waiting for her across the Atlantic, and the thirteen little blue envelopes are the key to finding them in this funny, romantic, heartbreaking novel.


So, the reason that I picked up this novel at Barnes and Noble was all because I remembered that I had requested the sequel for review and that I wanted to read this one first on the chance that I was able to read the second. Plus, I had heard good things a while ago and I wanted to read it for myself.

I was not disappointed in this book, but I think that I would have been had I of read it when it first came out since it ends the way that it does. Other than that, it just really made me want to take a European tour with only a few dollars in my pocket and travel around by train to see everything.

All the characters in this novel were great in their own way and I loved how they added to the journey that Ginny was on. Ginny was one who had to grow on me, though, for a few chapters but once she was there I really liked reading about her. I think it’s because she eventually becomes a little more independent and adventurous with each letter. But the character who really got me was Aunt Peg. Even after her death, the effect that she has on the people in her life and her reasons for writing the letters cause such an upheaval and yet bring about a type of closure that many are never able to achieve.

Then there was Keith. A guy who can wear a kilt in public and be completely unfazed by it is one cool guy in my books. However, stealing something from an eccentric artist brings down his appeal a little. Still, I loved how he was able to help Ginny and how he pushed her just that little but further so that she would have even a moment of fun unrelated to the letters. He was that grounding influence into the real world when everything else was in slight (or not so slight) chaos. Plus, I wish a guy would make out with me in a cemetery on top of a giant stone version of a Romeo and Juliet book. That would be something to definitely remember.

Oh, and I can’t forget about Richard. He was so sweet I just wanted to hug him.

This, in all, was a great book. However, with the ending how it is (I don’t want to ruin anything) it would be better if a person waited until April when the sequel comes out to read this novel. I’m giving this one a 9/10.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL Keith sounds cool. Not many blokes would walk around in a kilt these days unless they were in Scotland!

I have this one to read and I'm looking forward to it.