Monday, March 28, 2011

Movie Monday - Eye of the Beholder

SuckerPunch


Written by: Zack Snyder and Steve Shibuya

Directed by: Zack Snyder

Released: March 25, 2011 by Warner Bros.

Rating: 14A (PG-13)

Summary: A young girl (Baby Doll) is locked away in a mental asylum by her wicked stepfather where she will undergo a lobotomy in 5 days time. Faced with unimaginable odds, she retreats to fantastical world in her imagination where she and four other female inmates at the asylum plot to escape the facility. The lines between reality and fantasy blur as Baby Doll and her companions battle various creatures and enemies to retrieve the 5 items they need that will allow them to break free from their captors before it's too late...


Way back in September I featured it as a Wish List Wednesday post and I have to say that I’m not disappointed. But I am confused. This is the definitely the type of movie that I’m going to have to watch several more times, again on DVD, and then watch the special features before viewing the entire movie one more time.

Aside from my brain still working out the finer points of the film, this was fantastic. The special effects are pretty great, the cinematography is fantastic, and the action sequences are really kick ass. And I really want the soundtrack. I loved how they mashed-up several songs and it was all just amazing. I enjoyed the characters though I just wish that there was more of a background offered on them.

The acting was fairly good, and though the dialogue is a little non-existent the viewer gets completely lost in the moment and there’s no lack of understanding what’s going on right then. The bigger picture is a little harder to see – as I stated above – but it shouldn’t keep you from watching.

I know that a lot of people aren’t going to like this, but if you go into seeing it with an open mind, you may surprise yourself. At the root of the film, it’s a movie about personal freedom and having the ability to take what you want. It’s also about camaraderie and teamwork in the face of evil and it lets you know that anything is possible. I’m giving it an 8.5/10 and I’ll definitely be buying the DVD once it comes out if only to better understand the film (and to watch the kick ass-ness again).

No comments: