Friday, March 11, 2011

The Case of the Mystery Texter

Loser Queen


Written by: Jodi Lynn Anderson

Released: December 21, 2010 by Simon and Schuster Children’s Pulishing

Summary: Cammy Hall is what anyone would describe as a loser. She lives with her grandparents and has adopted their way of life… right down to the comfortable shoes and early bedtime. And can she help it that she actually likes to knit?

At school, her skills with knitting needles and some yarn go completely unappreciated: people like Bekka Bell reign while Cammy and her best friend, the fearless Danish exchange student Gerdi, watch from the sidelines. Cammy’s used to being an outsider; after years of humiliating moments, her goal is simply to fly under the radar. Then she suddenly starts receiving mysterious text messages that lead her right to all the embarrassing secrets about the most popular kids in school. Cammy never expected to be able to climb up the high school food chain, and the agenda of the texter may be questionable—but how can she possibly give up the chance to be Queen?

This is the print version of the groundbreaking online interactive serial LOSER/QUEEN that premiered in July 2010 on www.loserqueen.com. Each week, readers voted on major plot twists. The winning choice was then incorporated into the next week's chapters. Now that voting—and the book—are complete, LOSER/QUEEN will be published as a paperback and packed with extras from the author… and readers will have the opportunity to own the book they helped create!


I was a little apprehensive about this book but I saw it at Borders on ‘the buy one get one 50% off’ table so I figured that I would take a chance on it and pick up a copy. And while I wasn’t disappointed, I didn’t find that this was particularly special in that “holy crap” sort of way.

I thought that Cammy was slightly annoying and I really disliked her at parts in the novel. I mean, how she just let Gerdi fall by the wayside so that she could be more popular and accepted was sad. Gerdi was such a cool sounding friend and was strong and independent enough to march to her own drum, which I couldn’t help but completely admire. But, other than that, Cammy did some pretty nasty things along with the really nice ones that The White Rabbit (the mystery texter) told her to do.

And that’s another thing – who in their right mind would just do whatever a mystery person told them to do through text messages? I know that if it was me I would tell the person to go suck an egg and be done with it. And I’d like to think that I wouldn’t abandon my best friend just because I made some new ones.

However, I did enjoy reading this – mostly because I wanted to find out who The White Rabbit was and how it all ended. One thing that this book does is build up the intrigue and make you want to read on. Even though I disliked Cammy, I needed to find out what happened to her.

In all, this was a nice way to spend some free time but I’m only giving it a 5/10. If possible, I would suggest getting a copy from the library or borrowing it from a friend, but that’s just me.

No comments: