Thursday, March 3, 2011

Bra-Stuffers R Us

The Lipstick Laws


Written by: Amy Holder

Released: April 4, 2011 by Graphia

Summary: At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is the queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life with a snap of perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her. For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. April is so unpopular, kids don't even know she exists. But one lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity. But Britney's friendship comes with a high price tag. How much is April willing to pay?


I’m at a loss of words for how to review this (e)book. It was so like so many other books and movies (Mean Girls, Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood) that I’m biased on liking it purely for its similarities. However, the thing that really set this apart was the characters and the ending. Oh, and the focus on bra-stuffing.

I thought that April was one of those typical high school girls who had always wanted to fit in and never knew her niche because she wasn’t true to herself. I liked reading about her journey through the ups and downs of popularity and how through that ordeal she was able to find not only herself but some true friends. Her maturation as she went through the book was both natural and completely believable despite her devious behaviour and outrageous actions.

The Lipstick Lawbreakers made me laugh as I read about their escapades and really, they were quite evil-mastermind brilliant. I wish that I had the balls to pull off the stunts that they did. In fact, there’s this one customer at work who rages over absolutely nothing and leaves the cashiers in tears who I’d like to hand over to them to deal with...

I thought that the ending was brilliant. It had self-realization, secret sharing, boob popping, and rain checks. I was laughing and crying in outrage and experiencing so many other emotions with the last dozen pages or so. This was also the last straw for how much I hated Britney (which was a good thing) and how satisfactory it was to see her get her just deserts.

Although I like this cover, I’m not keen on the candy heart between the teeth. With the lips and teeth looking so real, the candy just looks out of place. It also has nothing to do with the book... but whatever. It’s a pretty cover nonetheless.

This was a fantastic debut and I hope that any other books from Holder are as good, though maybe a little more original in content (to be fair, that’s a very hard thing to do since everything has pretty much been done already). I’m giving this an 8/10.



I want to thank netGalley and everyone who made this book available for me to read several months early.

No comments: