Monday, March 21, 2011

Movie Monday - The Adult Spring Break

Hall Pass


Written by: Bobby & Peter Farley, Pete Jones, Kevin Barnett

Directed by: Bobby & Peter Farley

Released: February 25, 2011

Rating: R

Summary: A married man is granted the opportunity to have an affair by his wife. Joined in the fun by his best pal, things get a little out of control when both wives start engaging in extramarital activities as well.


This movie had me laughing so hard that I was literally crying and the ending was sweetly funny. Honestly, there are some parts which are so funny you had better make sure that you haven’t had a lot to drink. However, there were also parts of this movie which were overly disgusting and so did not need to be included.

This was one nip slip short of over the top gross humour and while I enjoyed the movie, the blatant nudity (full male frontal and women’s breasts) was a cheap shot at an attempt to draw an audience. I mean, sure, with a movie like this you’re bound to have your booby show alongside some crude joke mainly directed at the males in the audience but up until the initial point of fleshy un-goodness, this movie was really holding its own.

The characters were amusing and I would have to say that my favourite was the coffee shop barista/DJ; oh my god he was hilarious. The parts when he goes all twitchy over the “hot chick” had me giggling in my seat.

Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis have good chemistry on screen and their reversion into singledom is done really well. They balanced each other out really well and acted off of each other to make the most of the scenes. Jenna Fisher and Christina Applegate as their wives also work really well in the film and their parallel story lines reflect nicely on the entire situation.

The concept of a “hall pass” in a committed relationship is something that I don’t think I would ever do. Basically it’s a freebie card to cheat without consequences but it just seems as though the after affect would haunt the couple and more than likely result in a split. I think that you would have to be in an incredibly secure and nonjudgmental relationship to pull something like this off without any problems.

This movie had real potential to be really good, but its low brow sense of style just dropped it right down in my opinion. If this is your type of movie I would say ‘have at it’, but I highly doubt that I would watch this again unless forced. Had it of stayed clean, I would have given this a higher rating, but as is, it sits at a 5/10. I would hate to see the unrated version if one comes out on the DVD.

No comments: