Monday, May 2, 2011

Movie Monday – Redbull is for Pussies

I Am Number Four


Written by: Alfred Gough, Miles Millar, Marti Noxon (screenplay) based upon the novel by Pittacus Lore

Directed by: D.J. Caruso

Released: February 18, 2011 by Touchstone Pictures

Rating: PG-13

Summary: Extraordinary teen John Smith is a fugitive on the run from ruthless enemies sent to destroy him. Changing his identity, moving from town to town with his guardian Henri, John is always the new kid with no ties to his past. In the small Ohio town he now calls home, John encounters unexpected, life-changing events-his first love, powerful new abilities and a connection to the others who share his incredible destiny.


I like the fact that I read the book before seeing the film; it really helped fill in the gaps that I thought were very present. Though, to be fair, I think that I only really noticed them because I had read the book. Still, I liked having that extra knowledge and not being at all lost.

From book to movie, the major scenes were there but a lot was changed. But let’s set aside the whole book aspect and focus solely on the movie.

I’m not a huge Alex Pettyfer fan and while I think that he did alright in this film, I think that there could have been a better choice. I do think that he nailed his scripted character with a fierce protectiveness and set tiredness of running. He did his character justice in both the romantic scenes and action sequences. He seemed to have a real grip on the character.

However, the real star of this movie was Number Six. She really kicked ass and the way that she was introduced made the viewer think one thing though never had them certain in anything until her big introduction. She was perfectly cast.

I thought that the entire movie was rather well done. There were the great moments where your breath was caught in your throat and there were the moments where you wanted to either cry or shout out loud. For me, a movie that makes me want to do that while in a theatre is a pretty good one. Sure it also had its really corny parts, but we can overlook them and chalk them up to book-to-movie transcribing.

In all, I really want to see where they go with the sequel (of course I also want to read the second novel as well) and with Pettyfer, Agron, and Palmer (John, Sarah, and Number Six) all contracted for any sequels it’s just an added bonus. While I don’t think that this will blow up like Twilight and Harry Potter have, I think that it will be able to hold its own with its audience so long as it’s given a chance. I’m giving it a 7/10 and a recommendation to watch. But go cheap movie day, just in case you’re not too sure about it.

No comments: