Thursday, May 26, 2011

NYC and BEA - Days Four and Five

Wow, the last two days are one big blur. I was so exhausted last night that I fell asleep watching The Nanny and was too tired to write anything. But since today ended at 3 I’ve had enough time to collect my thoughts and not worry about getting up super early.




Day Four

This was the earliest day by far. I was up by 5:13... ok, 5:25 and out the door shortly before 6am. Luckily, my cousin was heading out the door at that time to head to the gym, so I was able to catch a ride to the station and not walk. Actually, in that respect I’ve been lucky all week. And it has saved my feet so much. The reason that I wanted to get to Javits before 7 was that I NEEDED to get a ticket for Rick Riordan’s signing of The Throne of Fire. Since I was there so early, I got in line for Starbucks as soon as I got my ticket and waited for them to open for breakfast. I then met some amazing people when I sat at their table to eat and proceeded to wait in the line for the entrance where I met some more amazing people.

The rest of the day was one big haze or excitement, pushing through the crowd, waiting in line, and meeting more and more people with who I had great conversations and exchanged business cards. At the end of the week I’ll have to post links to all their sites because they really were fantastic people.

I was able to grab all the books I wanted for the day – I went in completely prepared and with a plan of attack – and after a (not so) quick stop at the post office across from Penn Station before heading home my back was considerable lighter. I was also able to grab several bits of swag and books for giveaways. And before anyone starts to get negative ideas, any time I took more than one book I always made sure to ask someone working at the booth AND it was never one that was with a signing at the time.

Plus, I didn’t bite anyone to get at copies. Yeah. That happened. I couldn’t believe it, but I spoke with the girl is actually happened to. Imagine, biting someone just to get a book. It’s unreal.



Day Five

I slept in and took the train in instead of the subway so that I was still able to make it for 9am. I was so exhausted and my feet still hurt from the day before, but I was so excited. I had another day all planned and since the crowds seemed to be much less today, I was able to actually make everything that I wanted to plus some more that I found out about today. And I had time enough to eat a leisurely lunch in the cafeteria downstairs. Today also gave me the time to just wander through the aisles and see all that there was to offer. I stuck a sticker on the wall at the NetGalley booth, I stumbled across piles of books for the taking, and I got some amazing buttons.

When I got back to where I’m staying, I played board games with my cousins and just relaxed. I also made tentative plans for tomorrow. I know that I want to go back to The Strand and I want to see Central Park and the Zoo plus the main branch of the New York Public Library with the original Winnie the Pooh stuffed animals. And I want to just shop. With the Canadian dollar being what it is, and the amazing prices of the U.S., I want to take full advantage if I can. I also want to see about buying movies and things like that that I can’t find at home. My top of the list is a copy of The 10th Kingdom on DVD... but it’s a total white whale to find.

Anyway, I really need to sleep and I’m starting to drift off as I write this.

I hope that everyone who went to BEA had an incredible time like I did. I can’t wait to come back next year.

No comments: