Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Strange Case Indeed

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne
Written by: Kady Cross
Released: May 1, 2011 by Harlequin Teen

Summary: Finley Jayne knows she's not 'normal'. Normal girls don't lose time, or have something inside them that makes them capable of remarkably violent things. Her behavior has already cost her one job, so when she's offered the lofty position of companion to Phoebe, a debutante recently engaged to Lord Vincent, she accepts, despite having no experience.

Lord Vincent is a man of science with his automatons and inventions, but Finley is suspicious of his motives where Phoebe is concerned. She will do anything to protect her new friend, but what she discovers is even more monstrous than anything she could have imagined…

An ebook exclusive prequel to The Steampunk Chronicles.

I made the most amazing discovery and I honestly think that I’m a dunce for not knowing about it before. This would be the Ontario Library Service – and if you’re not native to this Canadian province, I’m sure that there’s a local equivalent for you.
This website is amazing. It’s all audio and e-books that you can lend out for either 7 or 14 days. I’ve gone on a huge MP3 binge from there since I can transfer them to my e-reader and keep them past the expiry date, but this novel in particular I got in e-book format.
Last year I read and reviewed the amazing The Girl in the Steel Corset and soon after was informed that there was going to be a novella prequel. I was really excited to read it but never got the chance – until last month.
Topping out at less than 100 pages, it’s a fast read with a lot of action and information into Finley and her character. In fact, if I’m not mistake, the events of this novella are mentioned briefly in the Steel Corset and by reading this I’m able to quell my curiosity over the entire matter.
For such a short story, this novella packs a lot into its pages. First we’re (re)introduced to Finley and meet her just as she’s being fired – again. From there we see her become employed into an affluent family, grow close to her employers, and ultimately save lives in the process. The reader is also given a small taste of how The Girl in the Steel Corset integrates famous classic literature into its plot lines.
I love Finley as a main character and as a heroine. She’s the defender of the less fortunate and down-trodden, she has a superb moral compass, and she can kick some serious butt. I mean, a girl who can drop from the second storey window without breaking an ankle (and without thinking of the consequences), just to come to the rescue of someone she thinks is in trouble is a definite hero in my books.
If you haven’t checked out this series yet, or you’re unsure of the steampunk genre, this is a great jumping off point. Personally I can’t wait for book two – The Girl in the Clockwork Collar – to come out this spring! I’m giving The Strange Case of Finely Jayne an 8/10.

No comments: