Sunday, May 9, 2010

Taking Flight



The Swan Maiden

Written by: Heather Tomlinson

Released: August 7, 2010 by Henry Holt and Co.


Summary: In the quiet hour before dawn, anything can happen. Doucette can dream of being a creature of flight and magic, of wearing a swan skin like her older sisters. But she must run the castle household while her sisters learn to weave spells. Her dream of flying is exactly that . . . until the day she discovers her own hidden birthright. Sudden, soaring freedom—it is a wish come true. Yet, not even magic can protect against every danger, especially when the heart is involved. As she struggles to find her own way in the world, Doucette risks losing the one person she loves most of all.



Well, what can I say about this book? I liked it, I thought that it was a great read, but there were so many elements that were just not there for me; mostly concerning characters and the ways that things were treated.

I didn’t care for the cover, though I thought that it represented the book and the original fairy tale really well.

I loved the take on the swan maiden fairy tale. I thought that it was ingenious and so beautiful. I liked how it took the lore of the swan cloaks and made it into something more. Now, if I’m remembering my fairy tales correctly, this was more like an expansion on the original with Doucette’s aunt acting in the place of the original Swan Maiden.

The details in the way that this was written were amazing. It was so easy to picture what was taking place and you could just feel the beauty of the countryside and the landscapes.

As far as characters go, I thought that Doucette was annoying and childish throughout the majority of the book. She had her redeeming qualities but then there were times where, if she were a real person, I would have slapped her silly. Her sisters were alright, if you like spoiled and selfish characters. Her oldest sister was the worst though. Doucette’s mother had absolutely no qualities about her that I liked. I thought that she was a horrible person and absolutely despicable.

I suppose that the way I reacted towards the characters just goes to show how invested I was in the story, which is a good thing when reading a book.

I liked the ending. I thought that it was the prefect cap to the book and the last few chapters were really good.

Overall, I’m giving this book a 6/10. I don’t know if I would read it again but I would recommend it to anyone who wanted to read a good fairy tale interpretation.

No comments: