Monday, May 17, 2010

Movie Monday - When Bad Girls Go Badder



St. Trinian’s 2: The Legend of Fritton’s Gold

Written by: Piers Ashworth and Nick Moorcroft based upon the cartoons by Ronald Searle

Directed by: Oliver Parker and Barnaby Thompson

Released: 18 December 2009 (in the United Kingdom)

Rating: PG (UK)


Summary: The girls of St. Trinian’s stumble upon an ancient pirate legend and start a quest to find the legendary treasure. With two rings to find, an ancient society to ditch, and a map to construct, the girls are more than ready to conquer all which step in their path.




I am a huge fan of the original St. Trinian’s movies (I just wish that they were more available to watch) and I really enjoyed the “remake” (not really sure what else it would be but it’s not true to the original movie, instead is more of a modern take on the idea) that came out on DVD last summer here in Canada, so I figured that I would like this sequel just as much. I don’t know, maybe I wasn’t paying enough attention (I was multi-tasking while watching) but I wasn’t as taken with this one as I was the previous.

Granted, it’s not as if these movies are intellectual, but this one just seemed a little more… for lack of better word, dumb. I don’t know, I think that I may have to watch it again, this time with more attention, but it just wasn’t the same. The overall look was different too, like something was off. It leaves me wondering if I will eventually buy it just so that I have a copy to complete the fact that I have its predecessor…

Perhaps it was also that they replaced some of the characters which were in the first movie with different ones and the cast just didn’t have the same overall chemistry. Colin Firth and Rupert Everett were amazing as always, but even their chemistry was lacking in this movie from what it was in the first.

The plot was as ridiculous as all the St. Trinian’s movie plots are, so I can’t fault it there. It was a little more involved than the last movie, I think, and I really thought that the stint at the boy’s school was funny.

I think that if you’re just looking for a movie to laugh at, then this would be a good movie for you. Or, if you are a fan of the original movies this isn’t so bad. Still, overall I’m giving this movie a 6/10. It did have its fun moments and it was entertaining. It definitely could have been better though, at least I think so.

No comments: