Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Question of Books


I have been seriously lacking in the last few days on reading due to some travelling so I don’t have a review for today. Instead I’ve ‘stolen’ this meme from here since it’s all about books and I thought that it was interesting when I first read it. So I’ve written my own answers, and it was a little difficult at times to adhere to the rules, but I did it.

Tuesday it will be back to regular book reviews (Monday being all things movies) so enjoy this break in our regular reviewing!


Rules: No two answers can be the same book. All books must be fiction.





1. Book next to your bed right now:
Next to my bed there are a whole pile of books but ON my bed is Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock since I’m about to start reading it.

2. Favourite series:
Right now, my favourite series is definitely Percy Jackson and the Olympians and I still have the last book to read.

3. Favourite book:
Tough question… probably Peter Pan. I have read that book so many times and I love it every time that I read it.

4. The one book you would have with you if stranded on a desert island:
Hmmm… Well, Lord of the Flies would be good for survival techniques but I think that I would rather something entertaining and long to read so I would have to go with the Narnia series. Are series allowed?

5. Book/series you would take with you on a long flight:
Something that would pass the time and keep me occupied. I have to go with anything by Juliet Marillier since her novels are long, beautifully written and immensely enjoyable.

6. Worst book you were made to read in school:
The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz by Mordecai Richler. I hate that book with a passion and its ending still bugs me.

7. Book that everyone should be made to read in school:
I think that in elementary school it should be books like Harry Potter which got a large part of an entire generation reading when they came out – something that the kids will be genuinely interested in and want to read even when they’re not in class; something that will jump-start a love of reading.
In high school, there should be classics like Pride and Prejudice covered along with the Shakespeare and one best-seller novel of a previous year; basically something that will try to satisfy every person, like The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

8. Book that everyone should read, period:
Such a hard question. I think that everyone should read the classic fairy tales since so many people only know what Disney has told them. Seriously, some of the original fairy tales are twisted and demented and amazing.

9. Favourite character:
Tough question. I have such a cliché literary crush on Jacob Black though!

10. Best villain:
Hannibal Lector. He is one amazing bad guy and so intellectual.

11. Favourite concept series:
What is a concept series anyways? I think I’m going to have to pass on this one.


12. Favourite invented world:
Though I know it’s based on our world now, I would have to say the world contained within the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld.

13. Most beautifully written book:
I loved The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory; I couldn’t put it down and I was on vacation in Cuba at the time.

14. Funniest book:
Anything by Katie MacAlister. She always had me laughing out loud on the bus whenever I was reading her. It drew quite a few stares at the time.

No comments: