Monday, April 26, 2010

Movie Monday - Modern Day Super Hero



Kick Ass

Released: April 16, 2010

Written by: Matthew Vauhan & Jane Goldman based upon the comic book by Mark Miller & John Romlita Jr.

Directed by: Matthew Vaughn

Rating: R


Summary: Dave Lizewski is an unnoticed high school student and comic book fan with a few friends and who lives alone with his father. His life is not very difficult and his personal trials not that overwhelming. However, one day he makes the simple decision to become a super-hero even though he has no powers or training.



First and foremost, this movie isn’t for the feint of heart. Not only is the language worse than you would hear from a sailor, the violence is extremely graphic and the situations extreme. I, of course, loved this movie. I mean, come on, Nicholas Cage as a crazy “super hero” vigilante cannot be topped.

The one really amazing thing about this movie was that I never at any time wondered when it was going to be over. I was enthralled with the entirety of it and I couldn’t wait to see what happened next. My friend who I saw the movie with… not so much. She hid her face a lot of the movie when things got a little too intense. Then again, it makes sense since I have to drag her to horror movies that give her nightmares after.

Still, this movie was nothing that I expected it to be. Maybe that was from the lack of advertising that I saw that depicted the movie as nothing more than a comedy. I definitely wasn’t expecting so see people beaten within an inch of life, burned to death, or taken out by various weapons including a bazooka; although the bazooka bits were rather funny. In fact, I found myself laughing out loud at several points within this movie whether it was genuinely funny or the specific way that a person was taken out. But hey, I laugh during horror movies too, so what’s that to go on really?

I thought that the idea behind this movie was rather genius. It’s one thing to create real super heroes or make movies about the X-Men, Spiderman or Batman – already established crime fighters – but to take someone normal without crazy financial backing or actual super powers, throw them in a scuba suit, and have them fight for the little people is something no one else has ever done before. Ok, that’s a bit of a lie since there was Zorro… but he doesn’t really count.

The casting in this movie was phenomenal too. The only person I though wasn’t cast right was Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Red Mist/Chris D’Amico (better known as McLovin from the Superbad movie), but I think that’s because I find him annoying period. Everyone else was amazing and right on the character that they were portraying.

Overall, I loved this movie and I can’t wait for it to come out on DVD so that I can buy it. I have never been one of those people who pays multiple times to see something in theatres… what a waste of money. Anyways, I’m giving this movie a well deserved 10/10. It’s absolutely brilliant.

No comments: