Monday, April 26, 2010
Part two of the BBC top 100 list (books 26-50) where the BBC think that people are idiots and don't read amazing books. Then again, I suppose that there are people out there who only read one author, one genre, or those trashy romance novels in the red or purple covers... Still, making an assumption that people have only read six books on this entire list?
26. Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
27. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
28. Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
29. Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
Such an amazing book that is so imaginative. Pretty good for a drug-addled brain to come up with.
30. The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
I couldn’t make it through this when I had to read it for class.
31. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
32. David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
33. Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis
34. Emma - Jane Austen
On my bookshelf.
35. Persuasion - Jane Austen
See above book.
36. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis
By far my favourite of the series. But isn't having this book on here when the entire series is listed above a little redundant?
37. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
38. Captain Corelli’s Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres
39. Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
Such an amazing book. It was so descriptive and colourful and so lovely.
40. Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne
A children’s classic.
41. Animal Farm - George Orwell
A book that I haven’t gotten around to yet.
42. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
43. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marque
44. A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving
So I didn’t know that the movie Simon Birch was done from this book… I might just have to get this from the library. I really did like the movie even though it was so sad.
45. The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
46. Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery
So good. My favourite book in the series.
47. Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
48. The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood
49. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
I hated this book. With a passion. But the death of Piggy in the movie made my entire class laugh. Rocks are not supposed to bounce off a person’s head when they’re that big.
50. Atonement - Ian McEwan
So that's another 6 1/2 books, which brings my grand total to 15 1/2 books. I think that the BBC needs to re-think their numbers.