Monday, June 28, 2010

Movie Monday - Cementing My Beliefs in Sparks

The Last Song


Written by: Nicholas Sparks and Jeff Van Wie

Directed by: Julie Anne Robinson

Rated: PG

Summary: Seventeen-year-old Veronica ‘Ronnie’ Miller’s life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Tybee Island, Georgia. Three years later, she remains angry and alienated from her parents, especially her father ...until her mother decides it would be in everyone’s best interest if she spent the summer on Tybee Island with him. Ronnie’s father, a former concert pianist and teacher, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church. The tale that unfolds is an unforgettable story about love in its myriad forms - first love, the love between parents and children - that demonstrates, as only a Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that deeply felt relationships can break our hearts ...and heal them.




A few months ago I reviewed the book and was highly anticipating the movie but boy do I regret it. Sure, the movie was alright as far we representing the book went, but one would think that since the screenplay was written first, the movie would have been better. Disappointing.

Don’t get me wrong, the movie was ok. If I hadn’t read the book going into it, I think that it would have been better, but it just left out SO MUCH information. So many details were left out that, though I was able to follow, it left a lot to be desired.

Ok, this review feels like it’s going around in circles.

Basically, to sum it all up, the book was better hands down.

Now, then there’s the whole Miley Cyrus debacle. I don’t get where people get off thinking that she’s this great actress when she was absolutely horrible in this role which was made specifically for her. And she had zero chemistry with her leading man. Seriously, they were supposed to be falling in love both on and off the camera? It sure didn’t look like it.

Then there was that younger brother who I just wanted to slap the entire time because he just annoyed me so much. Oh my god who casted this movie? They should have been fired. The only good actors were… well none of them really stood out all that much but Cyrus was the worst.

Plus, she looks like a chipmunk. I’m just saying.

If you can watch this movie for free, have at it. I personally wouldn’t pay money to watch it and I am thankful that I didn’t have to pay to see it the only time that I did. I’m giving it a 4/10. Read the book and call it a day.

1 comment:

Tammy (The Book Fairy's Haven) said...

The moment I heard Miley Cyrus was being cast in this movie, was the very moment that I lost interest in wanting to see it. Based on your review, I'm glad that I've made the decision to not watch it.