Thursday, June 3, 2010

Kill or Be Killed - 2

Catching Fire

Written by: Suzanne Collins

Released: September 1, 2009 by Scholastic Press


Summary: Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumours of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.



Oh my god. Well, that is pretty much all I can say, now isn’t it, just in case I give up insider information and spoil the book for those who haven’t read it yet; I did that with The Half-Blood Prince… it wasn’t pretty. Speaking of Harry, he almost rose from the un-dead and made me not want to read, especially since I knew it would be a long wait until August.

Anyways, I honestly almost can’t put together the words to describe how amazing this book is. I read it taking only one break near the beginning to sleep and then last night I read straight through until I was done. Consequentially that meant that the sun was in the sky and I had to take a nap in the afternoon, but it was well worth it. With these books I think that there comes a point about a third of the way through that if you put down the book you would spontaneously combust unless it was for a real emergency.

The plot of this book was phenomenal and I can’t wait to see how it will be topped with Mockingjay when it comes out this August. Of course, now I’m going to be completely morose until I read it, but I suppose my TBR pile might be able to help with that. But I digress, back to the plot. I was completely in the dark about how they would get Katniss back into the arena and the way that it ends up happening was so out of left field that I was momentarily stunned. Of course, that is one thing that I absolutely love about this book; the ability to not completely know what’s going on.

And then there were the last few chapters of the book. I almost had my eyes popping out of my head just to read faster and faster so that I could find out what was going on. Oh god I think I might sell my soul and all my earthly possessions to get my hands on an advanced copy of the next book just so that I could find out how the absolutely HORRIBLE cliff-hanger ends.

This book has definitely left me wanting more, though in the good way that I’m not feeling as though something were missing (except the next book) and the countdown has officially begun. Maybe I should get one of those counter things and put it in my sidebar? Where would one get that? Ah I’ll figure that out later.

Catching Fire is amazing and if you haven’t read it yet I think that you have officially lost your mind to sparkling vampires. Go out and read it because it’s a 10/10 on my charts.

No comments: