Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wish List Wednesday - Number Thirty-Six

Today’s wish list entry is a two-parter which sadly I’ll have to wait quite a while for.


A couple of weeks ago, Skins series 4 was released on DVD in Canada – a fact which had me chirp in joy when I spotted it at Wal-Mart last Friday. Sure, I had streamed the episodes last year in order to watch them, but it wasn’t the same as having a hard copy; nor was it as convenient.

Of course, it’s just my luck that series 5 starts tomorrow in the UK and it will take forever to reach the eastern shores of here, so as much as it pains me, I’m going to have to be patient on seeing the new generation. I’m especially curious because this new series has the actress from The Golden Compass and The Secret of Moonacre – both movies which are based on YA books.

And sadly I’m going to have to wait even longer to potentially find out about the lovely ending of series 4 until the movie comes out... and it’s only just not in pre-production.

The only potential non-wait is the novelization of the time between series 3 and 4 which was released earlier this month by Hodder Children’s Books.

Summary: This novel follows the 8 protagonists of series 3 and the forthcoming series 4 over the course of the college summer break. Brand new storylines, that do not and will not feature in the series, or the upcoming film in 2010. Effy, Freddie, JJ, Cook, Naomi, Pandora, Thomas and Katie are all dealing with the aftermath of the events at the end of series 3. Effy has fled to Italy with her mum, where she tries to put her feelings for Freddie, and the guilt she feels for stealing him from Katie out of her mind. The perfect distraction come in the form of sophisticated older man, Aldo...Naomi and Emily are struggling with spending time apart when Em goes to France with her parents and battles with her stubborn twin sister, Katie, Back in Bristol, Naomi pines for Emily while wondering about her future education, Thomas and Pandora are sweetly in love, and finding it difficult to consummate their feelings for each other. Freddy and Cook are engaged in a vigorous game of sexual one-upmanship with a frustrated JJ as referee...By the end of the summer, the gang will have resolved some issues and brought up some more, but always in the raw, uncompromising, contradictory and authentic narrative style that makes the series so popular and compelling. Language and sexual references are graphic
.

So basically my wish for this week is more Skins. Seriously, if you’re not easily offended and you haven’t been poisoned by the horrendous attempt of an MTV American version (I heard it’s really bad, but I do want to see for myself), check this show out. I’ve been watching it from the beginning thanks to a friend of a friend from university and it’s my favourite show out there.

1 comment:

SarahEm said...

I LOVE Skins! I didn't know they made a novelization of the t.v. show. I hope it's good because I'm probably going to buy it. I still haven't seen season 4 yet...

And Skins U.S. is totally inferior to Skins U.K. For one, the censorship is incredibly lame. Skins just isn't skins without nudity and cussing. And I really wish the U.S. version had new characters with new plot lines because the American actors just can't capture the essence of Cassie or Tony or any of the other characters. Although it probably wouldn't be that bad if I never saw the U.K. version because now I'm constantly comparing. Oh and just so you know, you can watch the U.S. version on mtv.com

Alright, I think I rambled enough. :)