Thursday, January 6, 2011

Judgmental Death

Here Lies Bridget


Written by: Paige Harbison

Released: February 1, 2011 by Harlequin

Summary: Heroine, Bridget Duke, rules her high school, but when she crashes her car and ends up in limbo, she must confront the people she has wronged, all of whom want her to go to hell. The outcome of these meetings will decide her final destination.


I received this e-book via netGalley; a fact that I am ever thankful for.

I hated Bridget. Really, I loathed her, which shows just how well written she is. At the very beginning, I felt a little sorry for her but as the ages kept turning and the story unfolded I just wanted to slap some sense into her. And some morality. She was just such a bitch to everyone and spoiled little princess that in any other book it would make you stop reading... but Bridget’s train wreck of a life was like those gruesome scenes that you just couldn’t tear your eyes away from.

The entire first half of the novel I was just waiting for Bridget to get hers – a part which kept me reading – and when it finally happened I was relieved and relished in her character’s turmoil over it. That more than likely makes me sound like a horrible person, but once you read this book I’m sure that you’ll agree. Bridget is that sort of character that you love to hate, though, so these types of emotions are warranted. At least I think so...

Anyways, after the mid-way point I started to almost empathize with Bridget and wanted her to honestly become a better person. But I still didn’t like her much. She’s just one of those characters.

The story itself was great and had a fantastic concept that I don’t think can ever be overdone – it’s very similar to last year’s debut Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver in that respect. This was wonderfully written to the point where it made me, as the reader, be emotional over it. If you want a good novel to read for a few hours, this would be a good choice. This is great debut novel and if this is the set bar I can’t wait to see what this author comes out with next. I give this an 8/10.

1 comment:

Mystica said...

Story sounds great.