Monday, January 10, 2011

Movie Monday - The Best View Without Windows

Ah, and after several weeks Movie Monday returns! I am severely behind. (Once again, I really need to write my reviews as soon as I’m done reading/watching)



Burlesque

Written by: Steven Antin and Diablo Cody

Directed by: Steven Antin

Released: November 24, 2010

Summary: A small-town girl ventures to Los Angeles and finds her place in a neo-burlesque club run by a former dancer.


I went to go see this movie with my mum just after it first came out (this review is a long time coming) and I was a little sceptical at first. This movie didn’t get the greatest reviews opening weekend and I wasn’t sure if I wanted to waste money seeing it because of that. But, my mum really wanted to see it, so we went and she paid! To be fair, I’m pretty sure I bought the popcorn...

Anyways, I really enjoyed this movie. The costumes and the makeup are fantastic and though Aguilera’s acting was rather green, her stage presence is fantastic. I loved all the scenes in the club and the music numbers; it’s like the best musical ever only without the actual musical “musical” numbers. Does that make any sense to anyone else other than me?

The music in this movie is great. Seeing Cher belt out these awesome ballads is something that should be captured on the big screen at least once more and this movie does that brilliantly. Hell, I’m sure that it will happen at least once more in my lifetime; I have a theory that Cher’s an alien since she hasn’t aged a day since the ‘70s and I highly doubt that she’s not immortal. She’ll outlive us all.

This is one of those movies that I may or may not purchase once it comes out on DVD, but I will for sure watch it again. Plus, I would want to watch it again just to oogle the eye-candy of Cam Gigandet. But, until then, I’m giving this a 7/10.


ps: Kind of surprised that Diablo Cody partially wrote the screenplay - it was lacking her specific word play.

No comments: