Saturday, October 8, 2011

If Trolliez Were Real

The Girl of Fire and Thorns
Written by: Rae Carson
Released: September 20, 2011 by Greenwillow Books
Summary: Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.
Elisa is the chosen one.
But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can’t see how she ever will.
Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.
And he’s not the only one who needs her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people’s saviour. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.
Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.
Most of the chosen do.
I greatly enjoyed this novel even though the idea of the Godstone almost gave me Troll nightmares. Thank goodness the main character had hair that wasn’t in Technicolor, or spikes.
From the very beginning you know that as a reader you’re in for a novel that’s full of action and adventure. It starts with a wedding (which you find out a bit later is meant to be secret) and immediately bleeds into a jungle attack scene with a body count. From there there’s kidnapping, rebellion, assassination, war, and so many other things that keep you on the edge of the proverbial seat. The entire second half of the novel I was unable to take my eyes off the page.
I liked Elisa as a character. I thought that at the beginning she was rather weak, as the story evolved she became thing amazingly strong character who withstand so many hardships. In a reflection of that her overweight physique mirrors her inner transformation as well.
The idea of the Godstone, Trolls aside, was fascinating. While there is a lot of information shared on it in this novel I really can’t wait to find out more about it. I want to know what role it will play with the next novel and just what will happen in general with Elisa and it.
I hope that the release date for the next in the Fire and Thorns series hurries up and get here because I can’t wait much longer. I really enjoyed this first novel and I’m giving it an 8.5/10.

My thanks to NetGalley and Greenwillow Books for the opportunity to read this novel before its release date!
Yet another e-ARC which I have read and neglected to write the review until after the galley expired. So, sorry if my details are off at any time!

No comments: