Monday, April 11, 2011

Movie Monday - Enter the Wolf

Red Riding Hood


Written by: David Leslie Johnson

Directed by: Catherine Hardwicke

Released: March 11, 2011 by Warner Bros.

Rating: PG-13

Summary: Valerie is a beautiful young woman torn between two men. She is in love with a brooding outsider, Peter, but her parents have arranged for her to marry the wealthy Henry. Unwilling to lose each other, Valerie and Peter are planning to run away together when they learn that Valerie's older sister has been killed by the werewolf that prowls the dark forest surrounding their village. For years, the people have maintained an uneasy truce with the beast, offering the creature a monthly animal sacrifice. But under a blood red moon, the wolf has upped the stakes by taking a human life. Hungry for revenge, the people call on famed werewolf hunter, Father Solomon, to help them kill the wolf. But Solomon's arrival brings unintended consequences as he warns that the wolf, who takes human form by day, could be any one of them. As the death toll rises with each moon...


I wasn’t too sure what to expect with this movie. I figured that the ending wouldn’t be what I was expecting due to the last chapter of the book being withheld from the actual hardcopy – I have since downloaded it in preparation for reading said book. But that was pretty much as far as I went.

This film is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful and it just screams Catherine Hardwicke. The sets are so perfect and the cinematography is amazing. The swooping angles of the cameras and the little added touches really make the film something special. It’s the type of film that I could easily watch with only the soundtrack playing (it’s a wicked soundtrack) and just allow that to tell the story rather than the actor dialogue. In fact, I want to buy the soundtrack. It was that good.

I thought that the movie was well cast. The acting was average and there were times where I gave a little giggle because it seemed forced, but it was overshadowed by everything else so it didn’t bother me at all. But I like Amanda Seyfried as an actress and I thought that she did a pretty great job. Plus the male romantic options were really, really good looking.

This is the type of movie that I’ll definitely buy when it comes out on DVD. I also really want to finish read the novel – I’ve started but didn’t get past the first chapter – because it’s supposed to be a bit different. For the movie, I’m giving it an 8/10.

No comments: