Friday, April 22, 2011

Feel the Burn

Angel Burn


Written by: L.A. Weatherly

Released: May 24 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published as Angel October 1, 2010)

Summary: Willow knows she’s different from other girls, and not just because she loves tinkering with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into the future and know people’s dreams and hopes, their sorrows and regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where this power comes from. But the assassin, Alex, does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows more about Willow than Willow herself. He knows that her powers link to dark and dangerous forces, and that he’s one of the few humans left who can fight them. When Alex finds himself falling in love with his sworn enemy, he discovers that nothing is as it seems, least of all good and evil. In the first book in an action-packed, romantic trilogy, L..A. Weatherly sends readers on a thrill-ride of a road trip — and depicts the human race at the brink of a future as catastrophic as it is deceptively beautiful.


I’m not too sure what to think of this novel. There were parts where I was really into the story and then there were parts where I was so bored that I skimmed the page.

I liked the new take on angel mythology – though it was a little disconcerting to read about angels who behave more like vampires. Interesting, but so strange. I have to give props to the writer for taking a chance like that. I can imagine that the backlash from some for such literal blasphemy wouldn’t be that nice. Think about it. Angels are supposed to be these heavenly beings who, while they have several different vocations, are supposed to watch over humans. Hence the whole ‘guardian angel’ concept. In this novel they feed off humans and warp religion in order to make it easier for them to eat.

I think it’s brilliant.

I also liked the romance between Willow and Alex even though at times (I thought) it was a little forced and I would like to read the forthcoming two novels to see where it goes.

What I didn’t like about this novel was how it dragged. I can’t put it into words other than that. Even though the story seemed to move along well, there were just those parts that maybe could have been cut out or cut shorter. I also wasn’t a fan of the different perspectives; the switch between Willow, Alex, and two others.

The characters in this novel were... ok. They had their moments but for the most part I wasn’t entirely taken with them. I liked the chemistry between Willow and Alex but even that had its moments where I wanted them to just get it done with.

In the end, I just wasn’t all that into it as a whole. Sure, I wouldn’t mind reading the next novels to see where things happen, but if I didn’t it wouldn’t be a huge deal. I’m giving it a 5.5/10.


On a side note: This cover is gorgeous.


My thanks to netGalley and Candlewick Press for allowing me a copy of this eARC.

No comments: