Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Vintage Tuesdays - The Unicorn Queen Time Traveller 1

Swept Away

Written by: Joshepha Sherman

Released: November 5, 1988 by Ballantine Books


Summary: When her eccentric friend Dr. Reit invents an amazing transport into other worlds, Sheila McCarthy accidentally falls through the portal into the kingdom of Arren. There, Sheila finds herself part of a band of warrior-women. Astride unicorns, they gallop toward a dazzling city made of marble. But will they arrive in time to stop the evil king and his wicked wizard henchman from carrying out their deadly plans? And will Sheila ever be able to return home?


I read this way back in elementary school, like grade 5 or something, when I stumbled across it at the school library. Of course, at time time, I was obsessed with unicorns and whatnot (still am actually... sort of) so I grabbed it up and read all about Shelia and her adventures.

Sadly, at the time, that library didn't have the full series of books, so I was more than pleased that, while in high school, I stumbled across them again at a public library near where my dad lived. However, even then they didn't have the last few books to read.

At last came the day where I stumbled across them on the Internet where someone typed them up. Now, I know that this is illegal (which is why I'm not sharing the link), but I had to find out what happened in the series! But this review is about the books, and not the context in which I read them, so I'll get back on track.

This is a classic '80s book. It's completely too young for the age group that it aims at now, but it's still a fun read to spend some time enjoying. In fact, I almost always try to scour used book stores for copies of the books so that I can have them for myself. Alas, they're hard to find so that's never happened... yet. I'm not giving up the hunt.

So, for that reason, this book is a complete 10/10. I know that a lot of people would disagree with me, but to me it's more than just a book; it's a childhood memory.

No comments: