Monday, October 25, 2010

Movie Monday - Big Red

Secretariat


Written by: Mike Rich

Directed by: Randall Wallace

Released: October 8, 2010 by Walt Disney

Rating: PG



Summary: Penny Chenery Tweedy and colleagues guide her long-shot but precocious stallion to set, in 1973, the unbeaten record for winning the Triple Crown. Based on a true story.




So my mother wanted to go see this, which is why last Tuesday I found myself in the movie theatre. I, after having being forced to sit through Seabiscuit with my dad, didn’t really want to go see another movie about a race horse. If I wanted to see race horses, I would renew my license for the track as a groom and go with my dad on race days when our horses are entered.

However, my aunt and cousin went the week before and they loved it. There was some mention of crying, but they cry in any movie, so I wasn’t expecting too much. But, I was pleasantly surprised with this movie.

For one, it kept my eyes on the screen. I think that I only looked at my phone once to see how late it was because we were supposed to go to Costco after, but other than that I don’t think my eyes strayed from the screen. Plus, Diane Lane is one of my favourite actresses for this type of movie and she was wonderful. And the horse was gorgeous.

Oh, and the camera work in this movie is breathtaking. I cringe to think at what it took to get some of the shots that they did since they’re so close and detailed to the action. And the locations where they shot are breathtaking. There’s a real artistry with this movie in its cinematography.

The story itself is one that my dad had told me on long car rides home from horse sales when I was younger. I think this one in particular was told on the way home from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania while the teachers in Ontario were on a strike and I didn’t have school. Hell, even my mom remembers watching the races on the television... and I know that my dad has raced at the tracks in the movie (well, some of them), though I’m not sure if he was there to witness these particular races.

In all, this movie was a great surprise to me, though it probably shouldn’t have been since Disney can’t really make a flop since everything they seem to touch turns into gold. I’m giving this an 8/10. It’s really good for all ages and it would be a great family film.

No comments: