Friday, November 4, 2011

Red Fish, Blue Fish

Fins are Forever
Written by: Tera Lynn Childs
Released: June 28, 2011 by HarperCollins Children’s Books
Summary: On Lily Sanderson’s eighteenth birthday she’ll become just a girl—still a mergirl, true, but signing the renunciation will ink Princess Waterlily of Thalassinia out of existence. That leaves plain old Lily living on land, dating the boy she loves, and trying to master this being-human thing once and for all.
Now that Lily and Quince are together, mer bond or not, she’s almost content to give up her place in the royal succession of Thalassinia. But just when she thinks she has everything figured out, the waves start to get rough. Lily’s father sends a certain whirlpool-stirring cousin to stay with her on land. What did Doe do to get herself exiled from Thalassinia and stuck in terraped form when everyone knows how much she hates humans? And why why why is she batting her eyelashes at Lily’s former crush, Brody?
The seafoam on the raging surf comes when a merboy from Lily’s past shows up—Tellin asks Lily for something that clouds her view of the horizon. There’s a future with Quince on land, her loyalty to the kingdom in the sea, and Lily tossing on the waves in the middle. Will she find a way to reconcile her love, her duty, and her own dreams?
Tera Lynn Childs’s sequel to Forgive My Fins offers another tail-flicking romance with plenty of fun, sun, and underwater adventure.
I really love mermaids. Seriously. I used to swim “like a mermaid” in the lake as a kid and would play with my Ariel Little Mermaid Barbie (whose leg I broke... but it’s ok because I bandaged it up and she had a twin anyway). So this comes as no surprise that I love books about mermaids. I’m pretty sure that I have bought books strictly because the plot involved mermaids of some sort.
But I digress – BOOK! And a review. Ok.
Fins are Forever is the sequel to Forgive My Fins (which I loved) and I could not wait for my Book Depository order to come through with this novel. In fact, I couldn’t wait at all so the day after I placed my online order I went to the States and bought it at Barnes and Noble... Yeah. BUT I was able to give my extra copy to a fellow amazing blogger and she gave me tons of books in return. Ok, we did a book swap but this novel was involved so it’s relevant.
Anyway, book. I loved this novel even more than the first, I think. After the major cliff-hanger of the first novel I was in serious need to know what happened and why. This book did not disappoint at all in continuing the love that I had for the first and satisfying my curiosity while weaving a whole other intricate plot that at times had me at the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen on the next page.
The main thing that I really loved about this book was that it was another dip into the lives of characters that I really like. I loved reading more about Lily and Quince (Love the two of them!) and Lily’s bratty cousin Dosinia (I got that name right, right? I don’t have the book in front of me and it’s sitting on a shelf 6 hours away) and Lily’s best friend and ex-crush and her aunt.
Where the first novel deals strictly with the relationship between Lily and Quince, this novel deals more with the politics of Lily’s kingdom, her cousin, and (of course) her relationship with Quince which had me sighing and crying – no I’m not going to tell you why or if it was from sadness or happiness so you’ll just have to read the novel for yourself to find out.
If you’re a fan of mermaids like I am you should definitely check out this novel. It’s cute and funny and just a fun book to read. It definitely cemented my love of Childs’ writing and made me an even bigger fan. I’m giving this novel a 9/10!

No comments: