Friday, March 25, 2011

A Royal Swap

The Royal Treatment

Written by: Lindsey Leavitt

Released: May 3, 2011 by Disney-Hyperion Books

Summary: Desi Bascomb's job as a princess substitute has gotten a whole lot more glamorous now that she's advanced to Level 2 within the Facade Agency. Magical make-up, roller-skating celebrities, and the chance to see Prince Karl again are just some of the major perks. Not to mention, she's landed the role of Fairy Queen in her school's production of Midsummer's Night Dream (opposite her best friend's crush. Which is a little weird, but at least he wears a donkey head during their kissing scene). Life should be perfect, but Desi can't seem to shake the feeling that there is more going on with the agency's magic than she's told. Like why is this mind-bending power exclusive to royals? Is it possible that there could be a bigger way to make an impact in both parts of her life?


Now I really want to read not only the first novel but the next one (if there is going to be one – there better be). Wow, this was different and adorable and fun. It was a great way to spend a few hours on a day off while it’s alternating between rain and snow.

At first, I wasn’t too taken by Desi, and I think that may be because I jumped right into the second book in the series and not the first. So while there was a bit of catch-up, it didn’t take too long and then I was sucked right into the entire story. Kylee and Reed were two characters who I enjoyed reading about – I completely have my theories about him and books to come. Meredith I just felt so sorry for whenever it came to her love life, but she was a pretty neat “fairy godmother” type in the book. And then there was Celeste annoyed me right off the bat; which I think is the entire point to her character. I really just wanted to slap her silly at being such a witch.

I think that it would be so much fun to be able to literally step into someone else’s shoes and take over their life for a little while. It would be like the ultimate stage performance without a script – pretty much the best reality television show ever.

I think that this would be a great read for a younger audience since it seems to promote good morals, behaviour, and it’s super cute. I would definitely give it to my younger female cousins to read (I really don’t think that the boys would appreciate reading about princesses) without a second thought to whether or not there would be something in the book that they shouldn’t be reading about. Overall, I’ve got to say that this is a solid 7/10 for me. I really can’t wait to see what else comes from this author and this series.

No comments: