Thursday, March 10, 2011

Of Telepaths and Vampires

Dead Until Dark


Written by: Charlaine Harris

Released: May 1, 2001 by Ace

Summary: Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next.


You have no idea how ecstatic I was to find the original (aside from the HBO promotion) cover; somehow I had lost my copy or I had loaned it out to someone who never gave it back. Either way, I wanted the original cover and not the ugly tie-in one to go with the rest of the series and I couldn’t find out anywhere. Lo and behold, I found this one in Wal-Mart in Panama City Beach and I gave a little squeal of delight in the middle of the store. Thankfully there wasn’t anyone around to witness it.

So, of course, I had to re-read it as soon as I could. The first time that I read this book was way back in high school just after the first few books had been out and even after watching the first season of True Blood, I had forgotten some of the details. All in all, this proved to be a great beach read.

I had forgotten how much I love this series and how this was the book that started it all off. It was great to be able to re-read this and really enjoy it as though it was my first time reading it. If you haven’t gotten your hands on this book and subsequently this series yet, you really should if you like to read paranormal romances with a little (ok, a lot) of sexy scenes sprinkled throughout. I give this novel an 8/10.

No comments: