Sunday, May 30, 2010

Double Take - Book Covers (2)

Ok, am I the only one who doesn’t understand why they re-use book cover photos? I mean, if it was my book I would want something that not only reflected the content of said book, but that no one else had.

While perusing random IMMs throughout the blogisphere, I stumbled across the cover for Dreaming of Amelia by Jaclyn Moriarty which looks disturbingly like The Mermaid’s Mirror by L.K. Madigan.




I have to admit that I like The Mermaid’s Mirror a lot better. It’s just so wispy and romantic and the added details make it look together with the background. Dreaming of Amelia is just too slapped together and the blue too stark. But that’s just me.

Still, the point is; why do authors agree to these covers? Then again, do authors really have all that much say in their final cover art? I would think so, but I don’t know for sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If it's your debut novel, the author won't really have much of a say I think. It probably also depends on the publishing house you're with. I have stumbled across a high number of photos that have been used for (mostly YA) book covers. You'd think people would want to take a totally unique picture and develop a cover, but sometimes, there's little choice in the matter.