Friday, January 21, 2011

Fairy Heavy Metal 3

The Iron Queen


Written by: Julie Kagawa

Released: February 1, 2011 by Harlequin Teen

Summary: My name is Meghan Chase.

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.


Holy crap, wtf? What an ending to an amazing trilogy – which it is in my mind since The Iron Knight is all Ash’s perspective, which I consider to be an off-shot rather than a direct continuation – which had me in disbelief and crying. In short, I loved it. It wasn’t an ending that will make a lot of people happy, but it was a fantabulous ending (for now-ish) and was just perfect in my mind.

But this review is getting ahead of itself, so let’s backtrack.

It took me way too long to read The Iron King even after it was secured on my bookshelf and still a while longer to read The Iron Daughter, but the fact that I did wait and was able to secure an amazing e-book via netGalley (a million thanks to all who made that possible) for The Iron Queen, it made for a more fresh story in my mind and I wasn’t lacking on the previous details which would have faded from about a year of waiting. So go me in my procrastination station and let’s just rejoice that it didn’t take forever for me to read the third book... though now I have to wait for the next. I’m seeing a flaw in my plan...

Anyways, this was by far the nest instalment yet. Where the first set up the chain of events and the second was the rising action, this book was by far the climax of the three and was steeped in action, love, and adventure. I was at the edge of my hypothetical seat as I was reading this while on my bed and sprawled out comfortably, and though it took me a day or two to finish reading it (I had to sleep in order to work... damn the man) the last 150 pages are ones that you’re not going to be able to tear yourself away from. I know that I couldn’t.

Megan just keeps growing as a character as the books continue. Where she could be whiny and slightly annoying in the first book, by this one she was strong and taking control of the situation. And then there’s Ash. I am leaning slightly more towards Team Ash with this book and I have a feeling that it will escalate with the next book. But don’t worry, I’m not forgetting about Puck. He’s the perfect best friend for Meghan (and Ash) and I can’t wait to read more about him.

Being the best of the series, I’m giving this novel a 10/10. If you haven’t read the series yet, what are you waiting for? And if you’re waiting for this one, at least it’s not that much more that you have to wait!


ps: Another gorgeous cover!

No comments: