Saturday, January 21, 2012

If Shakespeare Wrote YA - a mini review

A Midsummer’s Nightmare
Written by: Kody Keplinger
Released: June 5, 2012 by Poppy
Summary: Whitley Johnson's dream summer with her divorcé dad has turned into a nightmare. She's just met his new fiancée and her kids. The fiancée’s son? Whitley's one-night stand from graduation night. Just freakin' great.
Worse, she totally doesn't fit in with her dad's perfect new country-club family. So Whitley acts out. She parties. Hard. So hard she doesn't even notice the good things right under her nose: a sweet little future stepsister who is just about the only person she's ever liked, a best friend (even though Whitley swears she doesn't "do" friends), and a smoking-hot guy who isn't her stepbrother...at least, not yet. It will take all three of them to help Whitley get through her anger and begin to put the pieces of her family together.
Filled with authenticity and raw emotion, Whitley is Kody Keplinger's most compelling character to date: a cynical Holden Caulfield-esque girl you will wholly care about.
I don’t think that Keplinger can write something I won’t love. Seriously, her books just seem to be getting better and I have a feeling that this review is going to mostly be gushing – so you’ve officially been warned.
I really enjoyed this book. And by really, I mean I read it in the span of a few hours simply because I could not put it down. The story draws you in and keeps your attention. You suffer the highs and the lows along with the characters and you just feel this insane need to know how it all ends as soon as possible.
I think that this novel falls into the age-old forbidden love category – and what a forbidden love it is. Move over feuding families, the feud within the family is where it’s at now. I can’t wait to see what Kody Keplinger comes out with next but I know one thing for sure; it will be just as amazing as this novel was! I’m giving it a 9/10!


Stay tuned for a full review closer to the publication date! I received my ARC from Hachette Canada via the Ontario Book Blogger meet-up from last fall.
**Cover photo is from the ARC and is not necessarily the final photo which, to date, has yet to be released.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

It seems like everyone keeps raving about Kody Keplinger, and I STILL haven't read any of her books! Out of all of them though, I think this one is the one that catches my interest the most.