Thursday, June 9, 2011

Dancing Dork-a-Saurus

Nerd Girls: The Rise of the Dorkasaurus


Written by: Alan Lawrence Sitomer

Released: July 5, 2011 by Disney-Hyperion

Summary: Maureen, a thirteen-year-old self-proclaimed dork-a-saurus, is totally addicted to cupcakes and hot dogs and thinks that her body looks like a baked potato. Allergy-plagued Alice can’t touch a mango without breaking out in a rash, and if she eats wheat, her vision goes blurry. Klutzy to the extreme, Barbara is a beanpole who often embarrasses herself in front of the whole school. These outcasts don't have much in common—other than the fact that they are often targets of the ThreePees: the Pretty, Popular, Perfect girls who rule the school.

But one day Maureen discovers that the ThreePees are planning to sit next to Allergy Alice in the cafeteria and eat peanut-butter-and-banana sandwiches on whole wheat toast with mango marmalade for lunch. And Maureen decides that it's time to topple the eight-grade social regime. She joins forces with Alice and Barbara and the Nerd Girls enter the school talent show, determined to take the crown from the ThreePees. Will their routine be enough to de-throne the popular crowd? Or will their plan backfire and shake their hold on the bottom rung of the social ladder?


Maureen is a jerk and I really, really disliked her. But at the same time, she had her redeeming qualities that made me start to like her... until she made another mean remark. I found myself liking Allergy Alice (Q) and Barbara (Beanpole) a lot more and questioned why on earth they felt as though they needed Maureen as a friend.

But, while I disliked Maureen, I did like the novel. It was super cute and great for younger readers – especially girls. It has this ‘nerd-girl power’ thing going on that made me want to stand up and cheer; and made me wish that there were girls like this when I was in elementary school. It was great to see the under-dogs band together and really make a change; even if it was mostly just on the inside.

I think that this is a fantastic novel for young girls, especially those who feel different and are self-conscious for some reason or another. This is the type of novel that would really have an impact, I think, on them and allow them to see just how amazing they are even if they don’t think so. However, it just wasn’t completely for me. I’m giving it a 5/10.



Thank you to netGalley and Disney-Hyperion for allowing me to read this eARC.

No comments: