Saturday, February 5, 2011

Pregnancy Information Pamphlet

Plan B


Written by: Charnan Simon

Released: March 1, 2011 by Darby Creek Pub

Summary: Is this happily ever after? Lucy has her life planned out: she'll graduate and then join her boyfriend, Luke, at college in Austin. She'll become a Spanish teacher and of course they'll get married. So there's no reason to wait, right? They try to be careful. But then Lucy gets pregnant. Now, none of Lucy's options are part of her picture-perfect plan. Together, she and Luke will have to make the most difficult decision of their lives.


I have always been pro-choice on just about anything – a person’s life is their own to live – and while I may be vocal when it comes to certain aspects of the lives of the people who I love, pregnancy is one of the topics that I only ever stick to listening and providing a shoulder if needed.

A friend of mine got pregnant just at the end her third year in university and she kept her baby. I don’t think that I’ve ever been as proud of someone as I am of her. She was able to complete her final year of university, graduate, and get into law school. Granted, she had an amazing support group and a loving family, but she’s such a strong person that she would have succeeded no matter what, I think. I truly admire her.

This novelette – it’s super short, hence my not classifying it as a full-blown novel – was good at portraying the emotions that would follow finding out about a pregnancy and the subsequent activities leading up to conception; I could picture myself in Lucy’s shoes even though I’ve never even tried them on while window shopping.

This would be the ideal short story for girls to have to read in health class. It goes over the cautions of sex, the repercussions for not being careful, and the options that a girl has once she finds out that she’s pregnant. The ending also won’t anger any parents (at least I wouldn’t believe it would) since no decision is firmly made one way or the other concerning said baby.

Speaking of the ending, I can see why some reviews didn’t particularly care for it. I wasn’t exactly a fan myself, but that’s mostly because there wasn’t any resolution to the story; it kind of just ended after a weak climax. But in its openness, I liked how the reader was able to decide for themselves the outcome since everyone who reads this would have a different opinion based on their beliefs.

I liked that this was a short read and I was able to decimate it in under an hour. But to be honest, there wasn’t anything to it. I’m giving this one a 5/10, but I do recommend it for younger high school and older middle school readers purely because of the subject content.



I want to thank netGalley and everyone who made it possible for me to read this. It was a nice way to spend an hour.

1 comment:

~Sara @ Just Another Story said...

I read this one not to long ago, and was a little disappointed with how short it was. I agree that it's a good educational read for teens.